Friday, March 6, 2009

Target Tantrum

Ty spent the past week, in Canada, on business.  This was the second time we have spent more than a day away from him.  The first being our trip to Florida, last year, at this time.  I was a little bit nervous about doing the whole "single parent" thing with Tyler.  Ty's mom offered to come up and help for a few days.  On Tuesday, we made a trip to Target while we were out running errands.  Thankfully this was not my usual Target!  I was looking at backpacks (for our trip to Florida) while my MIL was chasing Tyler around the store.  Yes, I know all of you mommies are thinking "why did she let her 18 month old out of the cart?!?!?"...not the best decision I have ever made!  I didn't really think anything of it until it was time to put her back in the cart.  

Tyler proceeded to throw the biggest temper tantrum I have ever been blessed to witness.  She was screaming, sobbing, thrashing and flailing all over the place.  I did finally get her back into the cart where she then tried to throw herself out of the cart every 3 feet.  It was quite the scene!  I still wish I had been able to video tape her "performance"...it would have won her an Oscar, a Golden Globe, an Independent Spirit, an Emmy and so on.  Of course we were in the very back corner of the store...it seemed like the front door was miles away.  She sobbed and screamed the whole way to the check out stand.  Let me be clear, I'm talking hysterical crying.  I could feel all eyes on us as I walked, no almost ran, to pay for my purchases.  Yes people, this is my daughter and she is having a full blown, 18 month old, temper tantrum! I stopped once (in men's underwear), to try and reason with her.  Reason with an 18 month old?!?!? Nice try, right? Obviously I wasn't thinking clearly.  She was in no mood to hear what I had to say.  

The crying continued through the front doors and into the parking lot.  People were still staring at us.  At that point, I had to chuckle.  I've never been on the mommy side of a child throwing a public fit.  When we got the car, she refused to get into her car seat.  Really?!?!?  I was expecting her to pass out from all the energy she just put into her tantrum.  NOPE, she would not let me put her in the car.  I had to stand, in the parking lot, and try to coax her into her seat. 

Not even 15 minutes later, she was sweet as can be.  We stopped to have lunch at Roses.  Every single person around us made it a point to comment on how well-behaved she was.  I started laughing.  Are we talking about the same child?!?!  Did you not hear her screaming her head off at Target???  Yes, we were six or seven miles away but I am pretty sure you could still hear her.

1 comment:

Sarah Ommen said...

Lovely! We had a my gym experience like this at about 20 months!