Saturday, February 2, 2008

Tyler Grace - The last 18 weeks

In order to bring everyone up to date, I figured I might as well start this blog by writing briefly about the last 18 weeks. After a LONG (41 weeks) pregnancy, Tyler finally joined our family on September 19, 2007. Everything went quickly and without incident. My doctor had prepared me for the possibility of a c-section due to being an induced, first time mom and Tyler's size. It was quite the opposite and I think everyone but my mom, was surprised. Tyler was 8 lbs, 10 oz and 21 in long.
As soon as the epidural wore off, I had a terrible headache. I really did think I was dying as they wheeled me over to my post-partum room. Yes, I was one of the "lucky" ladies whose spinal column had been nicked and fluid was leaking. I received a blood patch the next day which eased the headaches and nausea for about 24 hours. We had two visits to the ER, after coming home, because of the spinal headaches. After the second visit, we were well equipped (thanks to our "McSteamy" doctor and his vast knowledge of spinal headaches and how to treat them) to deal with my temporary disability. My mom stayed with us for almost two weeks, taking care of me and Tyler. She did everything including feeding Tyler in the middle of the night. There is no way we could have survived those first few weeks without all the help from family and friends. After almost eight weeks of nasty headaches and three weeks of terrible nausea and vomiting, I was feeling almost normal. In that time period, Tyler grew like a weed. At her two month appointment, she was 12.8 lbs and 24 in.

Ty and I had decided that we weren't going to do much for the holidays because of Tyler and adjusting to being a family instead of a couple. We had Thanksgiving at our house. My mom, my brother Jerry and his girlfriend and her kids, and Ty's parents all came over. Most of the meal was prepared by Whole Foods, so the day was pretty relaxing.
Christmas was spent at my mom's and then my dad's. Again, everything was low-key. Tyler was spoiled and we enjoyed spending time with everyone. After Christmas, we took a quick three day trip up to the Seattle area to see some of our extended family. That was the first time we traveled with Tyler and it was a lot of fun!
January has been a time of rapid change with Tyler. She is rolling all over the place, putting everything in her mouth and almost sitting up on her own. She loves to watch people and chew on her toes. She smiles a lot and talks even more. Tyler is sleeping almost 12 hours a night but she isn't a fan of napping. At her four month appointment, she was 16.4 lbs and 27 in. The past 18 weeks have flown by and it's hard to believe how quickly Tyler has changed. Ty and I are enjoying all the ups and downs of being new parents.


No comments: