Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Stuck in Sherwood

We are on day 10 of "Arctic Blast" here in the Portland Metro Area.  We have about 14 inches of snow at the house.  Somewhere in all that snow is about 1/2 inch of ice.  It's really kinda unbelievable.  Ty wasn't able to go to work yesterday and he did attempt it today.  It took him almost 30 minutes to go about 6 miles and then he had to turn around because it was too dangerous.  Even with chains and 4 wheel drive, the car was still sliding all over the road.  It looks as though one of the major roadways (Hwy 99) has not been plowed or sanded.  ODOT is still requiring chains in the Portland Metro Area.  Thankfully, he is able to work from home.  

The weather people are predicting another snow "event" starting tomorrow morning, with 3-5 new inches of snow possible.  My mom did make it home from Hawaii, barely.  She is now stuck in John's Landing, at Jim's house, with pretty much only the clothes she took to Hawaii.  Both her car and Jim's car are at her house, in West Linn.  Her condo is located at the top of a VERY, VERY steep hill.  We always joke with her that she would be trapped if we ever got a significant amount of snow and ice.  We were hoping to get them over to her place today.  However, if Ty couldn't make it to work, I am guessing it would be difficult to get to mom and then to her house.  

I am slowly coming to the realization that Christmas will not be as we planned.  I am bummed! We had plans to see Ty's parents, grandparents, mom and Jim for Christmas Eve.  I would be surprised if we were still able to have everyone over to our house.  Christmas Day we have plans to be at my dad's house.  Thankfully, they only live about 6 miles away and there are multiple ways to get to his house...most of which are pretty much a straight shot.  We aren't sure if Ty's family will be able to make it up here on Christmas Eve.  Hopefully we will chat with them today and figure out what is going on.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to spend time with our families!

1 comment:

Sarah Ommen said...

Wow! I had no idea it was that bad! I will keep my fingers crossed that you can have Christmas exactly how you want it :)