Tuesday, July 1, 2008

1st Year Molar and Tyler's Adventure With Tofu

Tyler FINALLY has another tooth.  It's been about three months since her first set of teeth made their appearance.  She has been drooling buckets and sleeping horribly during the day.  I was at a loss because I couldn't see her top two teeth coming in.  Her bottoms had come in first so I assumed that her next set of teeth would be the top two.  Well, you know what they say when you assume something.  While trying to rock her back to sleep this afternoon, I noticed what I thought was tofu.  

SIDE NOTE:  She tried tofu for the first time today and ate it right up.  Well, I was pretty pleased with her new found like for tofu squares.  However, when I went to feed her something else, all of the chewed up tofu came spilling out.  She had stored in her cheeks and couldn't swallow the other food without emptying her "winter storage".  It was pretty funny and caught me off guard.  I had assumed she had actually eaten and swallowed the tofu, so I kept giving it to her.  So, in looking in her mouth, I thought maybe she still had a bit of tofu on her gums.  

Back to the original story.  It wasn't tofu...it was her 1st year molar.  HOLY COW!  I wasn't expecting her 1st year molars until, well, after her first birthday.  I talked to her doctor and it is pretty unusual for that tooth to come in so early and in that order but it does happen.  The doctor isn't worried at all...she said it is within "normal range".     I feel terrible for Tyler because I have heard the molars can be the most painful.  She has been a little trooper and besides the drooling and the sleep issues, she has dealt with the new tooth better than I expected.  I checked the other side of her mouth and although there isn't a tooth to match yet, her gums were red, swollen and tender.  

No comments: