Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tyler's Doctor Appointment

I know I have been posting on Tyler's teething and how awful it has been.  I feel like a terrible mom for all the complaining I have done.  As you all know by now, Tyler has a nasty ear infection. Ty and I realize that the teething has had nothing to do with how she has been acting.  In fact, while we were at the doctor's on Thursday, she looked at Tyler's gums and commented that it looked as though the top two were almost ready to come in.  Today, I noticed a new blister like area on her gums.  So, I think we have a grand total of four teeth trying to come in all at the same time.  Bless her little heart, you'd never know she is teething.  Well, the front of her shirt is soaked and she almost always has drool running down her chin.  BUT, that is it.  Tyler is happy as a clam...maybe a very tired clam but still happy!

Now, on to our doctor's appointment.  When Tyler woke up from her nap, on Thursday, she was pretty warm.  I decided to take her temperature.  It was almost 103.  Tyler has had one small fever...a bit over 100...she had the stomach flu back in March.  The fever didn't make me so nervous but Tyler's refusal to eat or drink did.  I know that it is pretty easy for little ones to become dehydrated quickly.  After talking to both my mom and my dad, Ty and I decided to call Dr. Heiferman.  The advice nurse asked us to come in, so that they could rule out an ear infection.  She said the fever was too high for teething and that they worried about dehydration as well.  Our little peanut looked like hell and probably felt like it too.  

So, once they had us settled in the exam room, the doctor came in and started to look Tyler over.  The first ear looked great.  The second ear had wax blockage and the doctor couldn't see the eardrum.  They needed to clean Tyler's ear out before they could say "yay" or "nay" to an ear infection.  The doctor was also a little concerned that Tyler could have a bladder infection and not an ear infection.  I guess they are pretty common in little girls and Tyler's symptoms more closely matched a bladder infection than an ear infection.  We decided it was best to get a urine sample before the holiday weekend.  Ty and I haven't had good times with Kaiser's Urgent Care and we really didn't want to visit them over the weekend.  Do you know how they get a urine sample from an almost 10 month old?!?!  Yes, that is right...A CATHETER. Ummmm, now I wasn't so sure about my hurry to get a sample.

Talk about a nightmare for me and for Tyler.  As if she wasn't feeling horrible already, now they are going to stick a tube into her bladder.  The nurse first put some stuff in her ear to help loosen the wax.  Then it was time for the catheter.  I had to help hold her down while they did it.  Talk about heartbreaking!  Tyler had the "What the heck is going on and why are you letting them do this?" expression on her face.  She was bawling and so was I.  It was over pretty quick. Then they wrapped her up like a burrito, which she hated (screaming and bawling even louder), and cleaned her ear out.  After all was said and done, she did have an ear infection and did not have a bladder infection.  

Now we are on antibiotics and ear drops for the pain.  Tyler hates the bubble gum flavored amoxicillin and struggles to not take it.  Why does it have to be bubble gum flavor?  How many kids, under the age of one, like bubble gum???  Oh and why is it pink?  It stains and clear would have been much smarter!!!  Anyway, she is sleeping really well and looking much better since the first 24 hours on the antibiotics.  

4 comments:

AO said...

Oh, I am so sorry for Tyler. I hope she is feeling better now that she is on some medicine. Hopefully, things will get better quickly and Tyler will be back to her old self before you know it!

The Jenkins Family said...

Hope she feels better soon!! The ear and all those teeth!

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you were able to get some medicine for your little peanut - hope she is back to her happy self soon!

I and J Mommy said...

What a tough little cookie! Hope she is feeling better soon, for her and for you. It will make you feel better too.